Laid Off

Yes you read that correctly...last month I was laid off from my school position. Was it a shock well yes and no. Yes because I didnt really see it coming but no that I should have with the hiring of the new boss last year. I know I wrote aliitle about how the boss who originally hired me retired last year who I loved and got along famously with and how they hired this new person who is also a parent of a child at the school and who I have never felt close to and never really felt like she wanted to really get to know me or my skill set. Well she and the head of school decided to restructure the department so both myself and my co worker (who had been there 15 years and will be 65 years old in September and cant afford to retire) were not given renewed contracts at the end of this school year.

So I have been unemployed now for a month and searching hard because that is how I roll and we just purchased a new home 3 months ago and I need to work not only for the money but also for health benefits for both E and I. Been on a couple of interviews....two with which they chose someone else and one I am still interviewing with...second interview this Tuesday. Up till this point I have been strong and going with the flow but I know deep down inside I am scared of not getting something and more importantly getting a job I truly like.

Being that it is the summer and most schools both public and private are looking for people now to fill for September the timing is good and it has been nice so far to have this time off during the summer with the beautiful weather...enjoying our pool...being able to get together more often with friends and family. But I dont want to see it drag into the fall/winter months because I seriously wont be in a good place mentally.

See after the finding out we were going to be childless and accepting that I personally need to have a job doing something I enjoy or at least feel challenged by...this is how I am wired. I need to be doing stuff in order to feel whole. If we were to have had a child being a a mom would have been enough and I probably wouldn't have focus on my job as much...it would have been just a paycheck and that is all. Now that isn't the case and I need more than just the paycheck. I need to know that what I do at my job fills me up and makes me happy because this is what is important to me at this stage of my life.

Please pray that whichever position comes my way that it will speak to me and make me feel like this is where I am meant to be!

Comments

  1. I am sorry - I hope that you do find something that you like soon. I do think that the definition of career for someone that has children and those of us that don't can be a bit different. Change is always difficult, but it is the one thing that is always constant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, J, I'm SO sorry to hear this. What a bummer! (((HUGS))) Sending a prayer so that you'll get a fulfilling job.

    Listening to this song helps me remember my worth no matter what:

    That I Would Be Good

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very tough, especially with the economy nowadays, and so I'm hoping that you'll find a job that will reduce your concerns. Hang in there!
    ***hugs****

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can empathize, as I also just lost my job last week. :p It sucks to be an "older" worker these days. I hope you find something else soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts